Did you know that over 70 million people globally are affected by stuttering? Stuttering is a speech disorder that causes a person to repeat words, syllables or sounds. It affects people of all ages but is most common in children between the ages of 2 and 6. While 75% of children can lose this stutter over time, the remaining 25% experience stuttering throughout their childhood. However, SpeechEasy’s electronic speech devices can help.

In this article, we list 5 safe and easy ways to reduce stuttering and improve speech fluency:

1. Practice Speaking Slowly

When you rush to complete a thought, it can cause you to speed up your speech and stammer in the process. Try to take things slow when you speak. Add brief pauses between phrases to master the art of speaking at your own pace.

2. Try Mindfulness

When you stutter and fumble for words, it can make you feel self-conscious and worried. Practicing mindfulness can reduce this anxiety and allow you to relax. Research suggests mindfulness can lead to improved emotional control and acceptance, enabling your speech to flow more freely.

3. Articulation

Light articulation contact involves minimal contact between the tongue, hard palate, lips and teeth. Articulation exercises allow you to learn to manipulate the way you produce sounds. For example, tongue exercises allow the smooth flow of air as you talk. By focusing on correcting your speech mechanism, you can reduce your stutter to a great extent.

4. Recording Yourself

The best way to get a grip on your progress is by recording your voice. It could help bring to light the words or phrases that trigger your stammering. You could work on improving yourself by listening to your voice and noticing your speech patterns. SpeechEasy’s electronic speech devices play your voice back at a slight delay and at a different pitch, recreating the choral effect to help reduce stuttering.

5. Anti-Stuttering Device

Lastly, SpeechEasy electronic speech devices help reduce stuttering. They appear similar to a hearing aid and help the wearer immensely in communicating verbally with ease. The device helps you to maintain fluency by evaluating your speech and build confidence in speaking freely.

Wrapping Up

You may consider practicing these helpful tips while wearing your electronic speech device to reduce your stutter and experience a noticeable difference in your stuttering intensity and frequency.

Huge back to school SpeechEasy savings: $900 off Comfort Fit