In a world driven by communication, it can be frustrating to constantly feel misunderstood. This feeling of frustration is especially prevalent among people who stutter. SpeechEasy, an anti-stuttering device, helps individuals speak clearly and confidently in addition to preventing miscommunications. Here are some ways in which we recommend reducing miscommunication for people who stutter:
- Practice your speech with loved ones. Practicing conversations with people you are close to will allow you to be more comfortable talking to people you don’t know as well. Having a loved one correct your speech at home will prepare you to have better conversations with others outside your immediate circle.
- Lean on your support system. Getting advice from others who stutter can provide you with new conversation tips from experienced people. Plus, it is always nice to receive reassurance from someone who understands your challenges firsthand. There are multiple self-help groups available to offer resources and support for stuttering.
- Make eye contact. Body language is an essential element of communication making eye contact super important in understanding what someone is saying. Steer clear from any distractions, including being on your phone, while speaking to someone who stutters and give them your undivided attention.
- Wear a clear mask. Regarding communicating during COVID-19, clear masks allow people to view and interpret each other’s nonverbal communication cues. For someone who stutters, it is beneficial to wear a clear mask so that others can recognize when you are experiencing a speech block.
- Engage in self-disclosure. Everyone practices self-disclosure when communicating, whether they realize it or not, every time they reveal information about themself to others. Letting others know that you stutter at the beginning of a conversation eliminates any pressure you may feel to communicate perfectly. People will know to give you grace when communicating if you are upfront and honest about your speech disorder. And while we are all for full-disclosure, do not worry about others visibly seeing your anti-stuttering device as most of them are very discreet.
If you want to overcome the flustered feeling associated with being misunderstood, an anti-stuttering device may be the solution. Do not dwell alone in your struggles; instead, become one of the thousands of people SpeechEasy has helped communicate more effectively. Contact SpeechEasy today to put the fun and freedom back into communicating!
SpeechEasy is a combination of proven technology and techniques which can be used to reduce stuttering this holiday season. Worn in one ear and similar in appearance to a hearing aid, SpeechEasy has helped thousands increase their ability to communicate effectively and confidently. The program that comes with every SpeechEasy is supported by a team of fluency professionals who truly care about your success. Contact us today!