We are all aware that stress levels continue to rise from the COVID-19 induced quarantine and its variety of apparent difficulties. Many people are facing emotional, physical, and financial tolls, but what about those who have a speech disorder that is intensified by stress and anxiety? Is the quarantine affecting those who stutter more? To answer this question, we first need to understand the different kinds of speech disorders and the relationship between anxiety and stuttering. 

Different Types of Stuttering

Developmental stuttering- 

Developmental stuttering is the most common type of stuttering and typical among children ages 2-6 who are learning to speak. Developmental stuttering usually goes away on its own, with 75% of children who suffer from a speech disorder grow out of it. For the remaining 25%, stuttering may continue to be a challenge into adulthood. This type of stuttering is often much worse when a child is stressed or anxious. 

Neurogenic stuttering- 

Neurogenic stuttering typically appears after some sort of injury or disease to the central nervous system, typically, the brain and spinal cord. These injuries or diseases can include: 

  • Stroke
  • Head trauma
  • Tumors or cysts
  • Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, or other degenerative diseases
  • Meningitis
  • Or drug-related side effects

While stress and anxiety can make neurogenic stuttering worse, the increase in stuttering during a stressful situation is typically tied to developmental. 

Quarantine Activities That May Cause Stuttering

This year-long quarantine has changed the way almost everyone has lived their lives. We no longer can walk around a store or restaurant without wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from those who you are not exposed to on a regular basis, all while still having to communicate. Any of these components to the virus can be stressful enough to send one who suffers from a speech disorder into a stuttering spiral. Conversations are now held over the phone or via webcam, which are conversational tools that people who stutter may have a difficult time using. Luckily, SpeechEasy, a small speech device, maybe the answer to all of these issues. 

Speecheasy | Electronic Devices for Stuttering

SpeechEasy is a combination of proven technology and techniques which can be used to reduce stuttering. Worn in one ear and similar in appearance to a hearing aid, SpeechEasy has helped thousands increase their ability to communicate effectively and confidently. The program that comes with every SpeechEasy device is supported by a team of fluency professionals who truly care about your success. Contact us today!

$750 off CIC and Comfort Fit SpeechEasy devices!